The Valencia City Council has been holding the International Wind Band Contest "City of Valencia", hereinafter CIBM, being the largest reference worldwide in its field. The purpose of the Contest is to promote and encourage musical activity as a fundamental part of our cultural heritage, maintaining this tradition, and to give Valencians access to a rich, diverse program of musical activities.
It is within this framework that the Valencia City Council establishes the rules which will govern the 134th edition of the International Wind Band Contest "City of Valencia" 2022, on a competitive basis and in accordance with the stipulations of section 17 of Spanish Law 38/2003 of 17 November, the General Subsidies Law.
2.- APPLICABLE LEGAL FRAMEWORK
1. This edition of the Contest will be regulated by the stipulations of: Spanish Law 38/2003 of 17 November, the General Subsidies Law; Spanish Royal Decree 887/2006 of 21 July, which governs the Regulation of the General Subsidies Law; and the Second Additional Provision of the General Subsidies Ordinance of Valencia City Council and its Public Bodies, as well as the contents of this rules document.
2. The Contest prize will be compatible with other subsidies, grants or income for the same purpose, issued by any Public Administration or public or private bodies, whether national, based in the European Union, or international.
3.- BUDGETARY PROVISION 1. The funds for the prizes of this edition of the Contest will be charged to budget line EP630 33020 48100 "TRANSF. PRIZES, GRANTS, PENS, STUD. RESEARCH." or equivalent, to a total amount of FORTY-THREE THOUSAND EUROS (€43,000).
2. The funds given to the wind bands taking part in the Contest, the amount of which will be determined when the participation draw is finalized, in accordance with the amounts detailed in clause 12a of this document, will be charged to the budget line EP630 33020 22609 "CULTURAL AND SPORTING ACTIVITIES" or equivalent.
5.- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE.
The Organizing Committee is the governing body of the Contest that is responsible for the planning, organization, execution and coordination of the tasks required for the development of the Contest. The Executive Committee depends directly on the Organizing Committee; is in charge of the Technical and Artistic Direction, the secretariat, the coordination of internal and external relations, the logistics, and finally, the production and realization of the event.
6.- PARTICIPANTS: AMATEUR WIND BANDS 1. Only amateur wind bands may take part in this Contest. Consequently, wind bands belonging to conservatories or professional music schools cannot take part. Also barred from entry are wind bands formed solely to take part in the Contest and those composed of a selection of musicians from a particular municipality, region or area. Upon the Organizing Committee's request, bands will have to supply evidence of their amateur status by means of a sworn declaration signed by the wind band's representative.
2. In accordance with the stipulations of section 13 of Spanish Law 38/2003 of 17 November, and section 27 of the Regulation which governs said law, wind bands which comply with the specific participation requirements detailed in these rules cannot receive any of the Contest prizes if any of the reasons for exclusion listed in the aforementioned legislation apply to them.
7.- PARTICIPATION BY NON-SPANISH WIND BANDS
The Organizing Committee reserves the right to issue a formal invitation to those foreign amateur wind bands who apply to participate in the Contest, granting them immediate entry without having to take part in the draw for a place. The Committee will respect the quotas detailed in clause 8 of these rules. In the event more foreign bands apply to take part than may participate in each division, the Organizing Committee will decide which bands will take part, taking into account their quality and history.
Direct invitations to foreign bands are justified by their being in the public interest to preserve the international character of the event.
2. To constitute a division there must be at least two (2) bands competing in it; enrolment alone will not suffice. Should only one (1) band enroll in a division within the enrolment period stipulated in these rules, this band will be encouraged to participate either in the preceding or subsequent division. If there is only one (1) band in a division due to the withdrawal of the others, the division will be cancelled for competition purposes and the remaining band can withdraw from the Contest without penalty.
3. Three (3) places will be reserved in both Division Three and in Division Two for foreign bands or Spanish bands from outside the Autonomous Region of Valencia, and three (3) places will be reserved for bands from the Autonomous Region of Valencia. One (1) place will be reserved for a foreign band, and another one (1) for a Spanish band from outside of the Autonomous Region of Valencia in Division One, and three places for bands from the Autonomous Region of Valencia. In the Honorary Division, priority will be given, in terms of their participation, to those registered bands that have a greater number of participations, as well as their results, in the course of the last 25 editions of the CIBM Valencia. Unfilled places which were reserved for foreign bands, or Spanish bands from outside the Autonomous Region of Valencia, will be occupied by bands from the Autonomous Region of Valencia. Likewise, places reserved for bands from the Autonomous Region of Valencia which are not filled will be occupied by foreign bands and Spanish bands from outside the Autonomous Region of Valencia. In the event of there being a free place in the division next to that in which bands have enrolled, the Organizing Committee (before the draw in which the bands are enrolled is made) can encourage the bands enrolled in this division to proceed directly to take part in the next division. If various bands accept the offer, there will be a draw to decide which of them is given the free place.
1. The order in which the participating bands perform will be decided by public draw. 2. Prior to the official contest, each band will perform a musical piece on stage, the duration of which will be limited to a maximum of (5) five minutes. 3. Within the official contest, each band will perform the required works proposed by the Organizing Committee, and a work of free choice. The bands will perform, first, the required work or works in the order indicated by the Organizing Committee, and then the work of free choice. Valencia City Council does not assume responsibility for any legal matters that may arise as a result of the use made of the free-choice pieces by participating bands. 4. The length of the free-choice piece will be as follows:
10. VENUES, ORGANIZATION AND PERCUSSION INSTRUMENTS 1. The stage and venues to be used during the Contest will be exactly the same for all bands participating in the same division. Said venues will be the sole responsibility of the Organizing Committee and no changes may be made to them by anyone other than the Committee. When performing their chosen pieces, participating bands will be obliged to use the instruments provided by the Organizing Committee (piano, harp, celesta, and percussion instruments such as kettledrums, xylophone, bass drum, etc.). Appendix II of these rules contains a detailed list of the type, model and make of each of the instruments that the Organizing Committee will loan to participating bands for the Contest.
2. Prior to the Contest, the Organizing Committee will contact participating bands to arrange a time when the bands' musicians can perform a technical test of the instruments with which they will be supplied.
The Conductor and President of the participating bands are obliged to go up onto the stage to receive any prizes won. Bands whose representatives do not go up on stage to receive their prizes will only receive 50% of the cash prize won.
Prior to receiving their prizes, the recipients must be up-to-date with their tax and social security obligations. To this end, by participating in the Contest bands give their express consent to allow Valencia City Council to request details via the Internet from the Social Security and Tax Authorities regarding the status of their contributions.
When issuing the prizes, the current Spanish legislation regarding income tax will be taken into account so any appropriate deductions can be made.
Prizes will be paid via bank transfer to the account indicated by the beneficiaries after they have provided the Organizing Committee with a completed copy of the "Application to create or update a record for creditors, assignees, third parties and staff members" form, which participating bands can find on the Valencia City Council web portal.
The Organizing Committee of the CIBM Valencia 2022, will create through private sponsorship, and as long as it is actually awarded, the following special prizes, which must be defined in advance of the celebration of the Contest:
AWARD FOR THE HIGHEST POINT OF THE COMPETITION The Award for the HIGHEST SCORE OF THE CONTEST will be delivered by the sponsoring company or entity to the Band that has obtained the highest score of the CIBM Valencia 2022, regardless of the section in which it has participated.
AWARD FOR THE BEST BAND OF THE AUTONOMOUS REGION OF VALENCIA The Award for the BEST BAND OF THE AUTONOMOUS REGION OF VALENCIA, will be delivered by the sponsoring company or entity to the Band of the Autonomous Region of Valencia that has obtained the highest score of the CIBM Valencia 2022, regardless of the section in which it has participated or whether it has obtained or not Prize in its corresponding section.
AWARD FOR THE BEST INTERPRETATION OF THE FREE PLAY ELECTION OF COMPOSER OF THE AUTONOMOUS REGION OF VALENCIA The Prize for the BEST INTERPRETATION OF THE WORK OF FREE CHOICE OF COMPOSER OF THE AUTONOMOUS REGION OF VALENCIA, will be delivered by the company or sponsoring entity to the Band that has obtained the highest score in the interpretation of the work of free choice of composer of the Autonomous Region of Valencia of the CIBM Valencia 2022, regardless of the section in which it has participated or whether or not it has obtained a Prize in its corresponding section.
AWARD TO THE BEST DIRECTOR OF THE COMPETITION The Award for the BEST DIRECTOR OF THE COMPETITION will be delivered by the sponsoring company or entity to the director that the CIBM Valencia 2022 qualifying jury considers to be the best of all those who have participated in the CIBM Valencia 2022 contest phase, regardless of the section in which it has competed or whether or not it has obtained a Prize in its corresponding section.
AWARD TO THE BEST SOLOIST OF THE COMPETITION The Award for the BEST SOLOIST OF THE CONTEST will be delivered by the sponsoring company or entity to the soloist that the CIBM Valencia 2022 qualifying jury considers to be the best of all those who have participated in the CIBM Valencia 2022 contest phase, regardless of the section in which it has competed or whether or not it has obtained a Prize in its corresponding section.
14.- ENROLLMENT 1. The deadline for submitting registrations will be from January 10 to January 21, both inclusive, of the year 2022. 2. Applications must be made using the specific form (Appendix I) and submitted at any of the places detailed in section 16.4 of Spanish Law 39/2015 of 1 October regarding Common Administrative Procedure (hereinafter the LPAC). When the application is sent by mail, the applicant band must use a postal service which provides proof of the date of sending. They must also, on the same day as mailing the application, send an email to the Organizing Committee to inform them that the application has been sent, using the email address email@example.com. The email notification will only be valid if there is a record of the date of its emission and receipt and the entire content of the communication. 3. In their application, in addition to the information detailed in section 66 of the LPAC, bands must state their chosen division, the title of their free-choice piece, its length, composer and, where appropriate, the transcriber (only transcriptions of pieces whose use has been authorized by the copyright holder will be admitted), as well as the musical piece to be performed out of competition. Applications must be accompanied by a recent photograph and a history of the band that focuses on the last ten years (including details such as participation in competitions or contests, prizes won, recordings made, festivals they have taken part in, etc.) and a biography of the conductor. During the enrolment period, the compulsory piece for each division will be available to all bands at the headquarters of the Municipal Symphonic Band of Valencia, (located at Av. del Cid, 37 - accessory), where bands can also make any other enquiries about the Contest. 4. By taking part in the International Wind Band Contest "City of Valencia" participating bands assign to Valencia City Council all recording, copying, public communication and distribution rights as well as the rights to use their image and name. Equally, participating bands accept that their performances may be recorded in audio or video format, broadcast over the internet or any other media, on the radio and/or television live or after the event, or released in an audio or video format on any magnetic, visual or electronic hardware to be sold or archived. Both sets of rights are understood to be granted for the maximum period detailed in Spanish Royal Decree Law 1/1996 of 12 April which approved the Amended Text of the Spanish Intellectual Property Law and other relevant legislation. 15.- PARTICIPATION AND AVAILABLE PLACES 1. If the number of bands applying to take part in the Contest in any one division exceeds the quota established in these rules, a preselection of enrolled bands having been made, the participating bands will be chosen by draw, from among those enrolled and preselected, on February 4, 2022, at 7:30 p.m. in the Palau de la Música in Valencia. 2. After the first draw, the order of performance will be decided by a second draw. During the same meeting the compulsory-piece scores will also be handed out. 3. Bands not drawn to take part may participate in the following year's edition of the Contest by reserving a place in the appropriate division. Should more than one band be excluded from the same division, the band which receives the place will be chosen by draw. 4. Bands which, once enrolled and included in the draw, do not participate in the competition, except in cases where there is a serious and justified reason understood by the Organizing Committee, will be banned from taking part in the Contest for a period of three consecutive years. 16.- DOCUMENTATION PARTICIPATING BANDS MUST PRESENT The Committee will adopt appropriate measures to provide information, and send and receive the equipment of both the Spanish and foreign bands taking part in the Contest. Participating bands must submit the following documentation: -Before March 11, 2022, and via the Valencia City Council web portal.
-They will send to the Office of the Municipal Symphonic Band of Valencia:
17.- BAND MEMBERS
The following points regulate the activities of the participating bands' members: 1. A Control Commission will be set up that will be made up of members appointed by the Federation of Musical Societies for the Autonomous Region of Valencia (hereinafter FSMCV) and one delegate from each participating band. The Control Commission will be the body in charge of the control and supervision of the members of the participating bands. For this purpose, the Control Commission will be empowered to adopt all measures necessary in order to carry out investigation, supervision, and control activities, and to request and obtain any documents they deem necessary from the participating bands. Musicians will be identified by inspection of their original national identification document or another official original document which accredits their identity. 2. The FSMCV will only carry out said inspection, applying the Membership Criteria (chapter III) established in the "Contest Regulations" in force at the time, in the divisions of the Contest in which only bands which belong to the FSMCV are taking part. 3. In divisions which contain FSMCV members and bands from elsewhere (both overseas bands and Spanish bands from outside the Autonomous Region of Valencia), the inspection system will be determined by the FSMCV and will be based on the accreditation of a musician's effective and real membership of a band. To accredit the real and effective membership of its musicians, bands must send, before May 27, 2022, a certified list of their musicians (listing their name, place of birth, National ID card/passport number and musical instrument) issued by the band secretary along with the president's approval. Said list must contain a maximum number of musicians as follows:
4. The FSMCV will provide the Organizing Committee with a report concerning the status of the participating bands and any incidents involving them that may occur. All bands will have to be in Valencia, in the right place, on the day of their performance in good time, and at least an hour in advance of their performance, in accordance with the Organizers' schedule. Bands that are not in the Contest venue at the time of their performance will be automatically eliminated from the competition.18.- CONTEST ORGANIZATIONThe Organizing Committee will take all steps necessary to ensure that the Contest takes place as planned, reserving the right to modify the dates and/or venues listed in these rules due to technical or security reasons or as a result of other events in the city. Should a performance have to be postponed or interrupted (by just cause only), the Committee will arrange a performance at a later date or cancellation. Said justified postponement will not grant any participating bands the right to make a claim or demand compensation. Once they have been proved responsible, bands whose members disturb the proceedings of the Contest or which do not accept the decisions made by the Organizing Committee may be penalized by the Organizing Committee by being banned from taking part in the Contest for a period of five to ten years. In the event of the President's absence or illness, he will appoint the person who is to take over his organizational responsibilities. It is the responsibility of the Organizing Committee through its Executive Committee, to interpret the rules in this document as well as to resolve any incidents which may arise during the organization and duration of the Contest.19.- INSTRUCTION AND RESOLUTION To proceed to the recognition of the recipients of the prizes and their payment, the Councilor for Cultural Heritage and Resources, with a view to the jury's final decisions, will draw up a proposal for the concession of the prizes to present to the City Council. The agreement which approves the concession of the prizes by Valencia City Council concludes the administrative proceedings. The agreement which approves the prizes must be published on the International Wind Band Contest website www.cibm-valencia.com and on the Valencia City Council web portal.An appeal for reconsideration may be lodged against said agreement in the period of one month counted from the day after the receipt of the notification of the resolution. Alternatively, a contentious-administrative appeal can be submitted directly to the Contentious-Administrative Jurisdiction in the period of two months counted from the day after the receipt of the notification of the resolution.20.- ACCEPTANCE AND DATA PROTECTIONEnrolling in this edition of the Contest implies the full acceptance of the rules contained in this document, as well as the irrevocable decisions of the jury.The Contest organizers reserve the right to modify these rules or make decisions on matters not provided for in the same, for reasons in the public interest which will contribute to the Contest's success. The data registered by the participants will be collected and processed in accordance with Organic Law 3/2018, of December 5, on the Protection of Personal Data and guarantee of digital rights.21.- CONTEST PUBLICITYThe Contest announcement and rules will be published in accordance with the stipulations of section 18 of the General Subsidies Ordinance of Valencia City Council and its Public Bodies, as well as on the Valencia City Council's web portal, without prejudice to the publicity which, through communications media and other methods, the Organizing Committee carries out to better publicize the Contest.